Shawnee State Park
132 State Park Rd, Schellsburg, PA 15559
Bike Bedford County 2019
Date: 10 Aug 2019
Time: 0700 Local
Place: BCARS rally point Shawnee State Park
vic parking lot 2/near boat rental area
- The Bedford County Chamber of Commerce is conducting the Bike Bedford County Race, part of the Outdoor Bedford Challenge, on 10 August 2019.
There are four (4) separate races/routes:
* Allegheny Ascent Ride (Flight 93 National Memorial)
* Allegheny Covered Bridge Ride
* Covered Bridge Cycling Tour
* Mini Tour
The Chamber has asked BCARS to provide communications/information support from established rest/water stops with emphasis on the AA Flight 93 Ride.
- The BCARS will establish communications points at race rest/water spots and APRS equipped mobile sweeps if available.
Our mission is to collect and make information available to race officials. At a minimum we will collect and report the time that the first bike passes each position and a cumulative count of bikes that have passed each position periodically (every 15 minutes) throughout the race. And, the time the SAG vehicle passes each position.
- BCARS will rally at Shawnee State Park vic parking lot 2/near boat rental area at 0700 local for briefing and position assignments.
* Shawnee State Park – NCS
* Christ Lutheran Church – Rest Stop 1
* Long’s Outpost – Rest Stop 2
* New Baltimore Area VFD – Rest Stop 3
* Flight 93 Memorial – Rest Stop 4
* Exit from Shawnee State Park to Rte 96
* vic Rte 96 / Rte 31 intersection
* vic Rte 30 / Rte 96 intersection
* APRS equipped sweep for Alleghany Ascent 93 Flight ride.
Fixed stations will report, to the NCS, their arrival time and when the first bike passes their position. There after the NCS will poll each position for a cumulative count of bikes that have passed their position. Sweep stations will provide accumulated mileage report to the NCS when polled. When the SAG vehicle passes a position, that position should report the time and a final cumulative report of bikes that have passed. The NCS may then grant the station permission to secure.
- BCARS should deploy self-contained with required fuel/batteries/water/chow/foul weather gear, etc. All should wear Emergency Communications Vest and display certification badges.
Everyone should check in with the Activity Manager or NCS and check out with the NCS before returning to home.
If Sweeps are deployed, for safety reasons, we should utilize a Navigator and Communicator team.
- The Net Control Station (NCS) will be collocated with race officials vic parking lot 2. The NCS will control/coordinate any position adjustments or assignment of additional/supporting positions. The Bedford 145.49 2 meter repeater is the primary communications channel. The NCS will initially provide dual watch on the Meyersdale repeater in case it may be needed by the Flight 93 site. Dual watch will be terminated when/if the Meyersdale repeater is not required.
It’s the 6th edition Bike Bedford County! We’ve added bicycle ride options to explore the scenic back roads and byways of the Bedford County region. All rides start and end at the beautiful Shawnee State Park in Schellsburg, with participants choosing from multiple ride options for all ages and skill levels:
Allegheny Ascent Flight 93 Century – a route that features a visit to the Flight 93 National Memorial. New in 2019, the Tower of Voices is now complete. This is our most challenging ride, which includes more than 5,000 feet of climbing and some wonderful down-hill payoffs. Amazing scenery with roads along pristine streams, shaded by lush forest foliage.
Allegheny Covered Bridge Century Ride: A hybrid of the Ascent and Covered Bridge rides, this route offers the distance but not the long climbs of the Ascent – and features 6 of the county’s historic covered bridges. Enjoy rolling hills, farmland and forests.
Covered Bridge Cycling Tour: Metric Half-Century that includes 5 covered bridges, farmland, forests, and more. Beautiful scenery with just a couple of challenging hills. Extend this intermediate ride by an additional 4 miles to catch one more covered bridge (32 and 36 mile options.)
Covered Bridge mini-tour : a 25-mile jaunt that skips the longest hill of the Covered Bridge cycling tour. Explore the farmland around the Schellsburg/Shawnee State Park.
Lakeshore Family Quest: a Free 5k jaunt around Shawnee Lake (Lakeshore Trail.)
Schedule for the Day
(ABSOLUTELY NO REGISTRATIONS BEFORE 7:30AM – You must register with your selected ride.)
7:30am – Allegheny Ascent & Allegheny Covered Bridge Century Rides Register
8:00am – Century Rides Mandatory Meeting followed by departure; Covered Bridge Rides Registration Opens
8:30am – Covered Bridge Rides Mandatory Meeting followed by departure; Lakeshore Family Quest Registration Opens
Century/Half-Century/Covered Bridge rides offer sag wagon support, bike techs at Shawnee State Park, rest stops with snacks and beverages, restroom facilities, post-ride lunch and a t-shirt for all of those registered by July 25th. (No shirts will be included for day-of registrations so register early!)
Parking: Shawnee State Park lot 2 (main parking lot near boat launch.)
All registrants must sign waiver online or during registration. USE THE REGISTRATION LINK BELOW (no tickets, just check in with your Active.com receipt.)
In the event of severe weather, a RAIN DATE OF AUGUST 17th will be utilized. Announcement will be made within 24 hours of the ride. No refunds. Be aware it many be foggy during the early morning hours at Shawnee State Park.